May 30, 2019
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild (NIPNLG) advances bold and innovative strategies to challenge unlawful and inhumane immigration enforcement, government overreach, and large-scale strategies aimed at dismantling immigrant rights.
We are looking for an Interim Executive Director to assist in our transition to a new permanent director. The NIPNLG seeks to advance justice and equality of treatment for immigrants, through litigation, advocacy, and support for community organizing groups on the frontlines. We seek someone committed to NIPNLG’s existing mission statement. Our Interim Director need not have a background in immigration law, but must possess strong management and organizational skills.
The National Immigration Project was formed in 1971 as a committee of the National Lawyers Guild and became a freestanding organization in 1981.
For the past 48 years, NIPNLG has served as a progressive source of cutting-edge, advocacy-oriented legal support on issues critical to immigrant rights. NIPNLG persistently promotes justice and equality of treatment in immigration law, the criminal justice system, and in policies related to immigration.
The Interim Executive Director reports to the Chair of the NIPNLG's Board of Directors. NIPNLG has an annual budget of $1.3 million, and a talented staff of up to eight people. The Interim Executive Director will take an interim leadership role in a dynamic organization with a solid financial outlook and impressive track record while the Board searches for a permanent Executive Director. NIPNLG operates in a virtual office environment with staff located currently in Boston, MA and in Berkeley, CA. Applicants should have relevant experience and be deeply and demonstrably committed to NIPNLG’s mission.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in areas of immigrant rights, criminal justice, public policy, or related fields;
- Strong organizational and managerial skills;
- Extensive experience with foundations and individual donors;
- Significant financial management and budget experience; grounded understanding of financial standards of practice;
- Experience managing institutional growth and change;
- Experience hiring, managing, and developing a diverse staff; experience with remote management is highly desirable;
- Experience hiring and training a substantial number of staff in a short time period;
- A track record of building and sustaining strong relationships with existing and prospective stakeholders, including board members, funders, individual donors, and community partners;
- The ability to oversee and implement a vibrant communications strategy;
- Ability to make periodic trips to NIPNLG’s Boston office and possible travel to other work sites;
- Willingness to make a commitment until the permanent Executive Director is hired;
- An advanced degree in law, public policy, nonprofit management, or related field, or equivalent work experience.
Interim Executive Leadership Skills and Attributes
We seek candidates who demonstrate the following leadership skills and personal attributes:
- A commitment to racial equity, diversity and inclusion with a track record of instituting organizational policies and practices that advance racial equity and diversity goals;
- A commitment and ability to center the experiences and perspectives of our constituents;
- Excellent organizational, intellectual, analytical, and strategic thinking skills;
- The ability to generate big, visionary ideas and ideals and the capacity to convert them into solid strategies and action;
- A reputation as a principled strategic collaborator with keen listening skills and the ability to bridge philosophies and perspectives;
- An adaptive leadership style with the ability to navigate complex situations and relationships and take advantage of strategic opportunities;
- Skills in talent management, team building, mentoring and developing staff leadership;
- A high level of emotional intelligence and capacity for self-reflection and self-improvement.
NIPNLG is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Salary Range: $115,000 - $135,000 annual. NIPNLG also provides a generous benefits package.
Nominations, inquiries, and application materials must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted electronically. Please include a cover letter, resume and at least three references. Your cover letter should address the following:
- Why you are interested in working with NIPNLG and the constituents we serve;
- What you believe you would bring to the position of Interim Executive Director; and
- How your past accomplishments are relevant to this position, including prior experience serving as an Interim Executive Director.
Please submit all required information in a single PDF document.
All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We expect to receive resumes from many qualified applicants and therefore highly recommend submission as soon as possible and no later than June 15, 2019.
For more information about NIPNLG please visit the About page on our website.