May 30, 2019
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild (NIPNLG) is a national, non-profit, membership organization that provides technical assistance and support to community-based immigrant organizations, legal practitioners, and all advocates seeking and working to advance the rights of noncitizens.
The Director of Finance and Operations is a strategic thought-partner with and reports to the Executive Director. They are a hands-on and participative colleague who leads and develops internal and external teams to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, benefits administration, and IT. The Director of Finance and Operations reports to the Executive Director, is a member of the leadership team, and plays a critical role in strategic decision making and operations.
Bookkeeping and Financial Management
- Prepare, record, and process accounts payable and receivable; manage staff and vendor payroll; oversee categorization of income from grants, dues, donations, earned revenues, and other; reconcile banking and investment accounts monthly; and ensure all Federal, State, and local financial reports are filed on a timely basis;
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate quarterly and annual financial statements;
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external accountants, auditors, and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary;
- Oversee organizational cash flow and forecasting;
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the executive director and budget team; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status;
- Update and implement all necessary non-profit policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual;
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Benefits Administration, Technology and Operations
- Sustain NIPNLG’s benefits administration, negotiating service contracts for health, dental, life, and disability insurance and complying with plan sponsor requirements for 403(b) retirement plan;
- Establish and deliver a comprehensive orientation program to educate employees regarding benefits, technology tools, policies, and procedures;
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants;
- Administer human resources tasks related to employee recruitment, and enrollment in benefits and insurance;
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- B.S./B.A. or equivalent;
- Two to three years of experience in the areas of non-profit accounting and financial management or human resources;
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who may not have finance backgrounds;
- Technologically-savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software;
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making;
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience with QuickBooks and other financial analysis software;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the rights of immigrants and NIPNLG’s mission.
- Ability to establish rapport and trust.
- Previous human resources function(s);
- A track record in non-profit grants management;
- Experience with Neon or other CRM;
- Listens perceptively and conveys awareness.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time 35-hours/week position, salary commensurate with experience. The position includes comprehensive benefits including fully paid health, dental, disability, life insurance, retirement plan, and four weeks paid vacation. This is a union position.
Note: the staff union contract is the subject of pending national contract negotiations between the Union, the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, and management representatives of the NLG.
NIPNLG is a national organization. Location for this position is flexible.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Please put “Director of Finance” in the subject line.
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild is an affirmative action employer that actively recruits women, people of color, persons with disabilities, persons with diverse gender and sexual identities, immigrants, and formerly incarcerated persons. For more information about the organization’s work, see www.nipnlg.org/about.html.