May 1, 2019
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild seeks to immediately fill a senior staff attorney position to oversee ongoing litigation projects and assist the Executive Director in managing the immediate needs of the legal department.
The National Immigration Project is a national membership organization of lawyers, law students, legal workers and advocates, and jailhouse lawyers working to defend and extend the rights of all noncitizens in the United States, regardless of immigration status. The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) was founded in 1937 as the first racially integrated bar association in the United States.
Immediate Responsibilities Will Include
- Managing NIPNLG litigation docket
- Overseeing staff attorney
- Providing technical assistance and training on immigration law
- Preparing amicus briefs as needed
- Assisting the Executive Director with legal team transition
- Speaking on panels
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Ongoing Responsibilities Will Include
- Developing and participating in new federal litigation
- Identifying and implementing legal and advocacy strategies to promote immigrants’ rights
- Implementing the National Immigration Project/NLG’s programmatic priorities
- Collaborating with national immigrants’ rights groups on litigation and advocacy
- Writing legal materials for community-based organizations and professional organizations
- Five to eight years federal court litigation experience
- Commitment to immigrants’ rights and social justice
- Excellent analytic, advocacy, and legal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Law degree
Salary and Benefits
The salary package is commensurate with experience and includes fully paid health, dental, and disability insurance, retirement plan, and four weeks annual leave. This is a union position.
NIPNLG is a national organization. Location for this position is flexible. The executive director is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We seek to fill this position immediately. Please send a cover letter, resume, list of references, and 5-10 page legal writing sample in a single PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line.
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild is an affirmative action employer that actively recruits women, people of color, persons with disabilities, persons with diverse gender and sexual identities, immigrants, and formerly incarcerated persons. For more information about the organization’s work, see www.nipnlg.org