The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild (NIPNLG) seeks to fill a senior staff attorney position with an experienced litigator. This position offers a unique opportunity to engage in cutting-edge litigation to advance the rights of immigrants nationwide. NIPNLG is a national membership organization of lawyers, law students, legal workers and advocates, and jailhouse lawyers working to defend and expand the rights of all noncitizens in the United States, regardless of immigration status. NIPNLG stands at the forefront of immigrant rights, spearheading innovative litigation that has received national attention, and supporting advocacy on criminal justice and immigration issues. The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) was founded in 1937 as the first racially integrated bar association in the United States.
- Identifying, developing, and participating in federal litigation, including novel theories of litigation
- Collaborating with immigrants’ rights and community groups on litigation and advocacy
- Submitting friend of the court briefs
- Providing technical assistance to members and other advocates
- Educating advocates through trainings and panels
- Publishing practice advisories and other legal materials, and updating existing legal resources
- Supporting organization-wide initiatives and mentoring staff
- Implementing NIPNLG's programmatic priorities
- At least eight years of legal experience, including five years of federal civil litigation experience, preferably impact litigation
- Demonstrated ability to identify innovative litigation approaches, including the ability to identify legal tools to fit emerging situations
- Demonstrated commitment to immigrant rights, racial justice, and social justice
- Demonstrated commitment to movement lawyering
- Excellent analytic, advocacy, and legal skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with co-workers
- Active admission in good standing to a State Bar
- Ability to travel for work
Salary and Benefits
The salary package is commensurate with experience and includes fully paid health, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement plan, and four weeks paid vacation. This is a union position.
The Position is open until filled. Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “senior staff attorney” in the subject line.
The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild is an affirmative action employer that actively recruits people of color, women, immigrants, formerly incarcerated persons, LGBTQI+ individuals, and differently-abled individuals. For further information about the organization and its work, please visit www.nipnlg.org/about.html.